Request for Public Records

The California State Legislature adopted the Public Records Act in 1975. It is designed to give the public access to information in possession of public agencies. The Act also provides that public records shall be open for inspection during regular office hours of the agency. The public can inspect any record unless the record is exempted from disclosure under the act. 

How do I make a Public Records request? 

All requests for public records should be directed to the Corte Madera Town Clerk. Please include in your request:

  • Your name.
  • Your contact information (including phone number, postal address, and email address).
  • A detailed description of the information you are seeking.
  • If you would like the information mailed to an address that is different from your contact information, please give the postal address of where you would like the materials sent.

Download the Town's Request for Public Records form.

Requests may be sent to the Corte Madera Town Clerk at 240 Tamal Vista Blvd, Suite 110, Corte Madera, CA 94925, or email Please call 415-927-5086 with any questions regarding your request.

Who can initiate a Public Records request?

Anyone may initiate a request for public records. 

What type of information can I request?

Download "A Pocket Guide to the California Public Records Act"  (PDF)

Public Records requests may be used to obtain "agency records," which include a wide variety of documents and other materials (including print, photographic, and electronic formats) that were created or obtained by a municipal agency and are, at the time the request is filed, in the department's possession and control. 

How soon must a municipal agency respond to my request? 

A municipal agency receiving a request for documents under the Public Records Act has ten (10) days in which to respond to the request. In unusual circumstances, the 10-day time limit may be extended by up to 14 days by written notice to the requestor, setting forth the reason for the time extension as required by the Act. 

How much will I be charged for my request?

Fees for copies are twenty-five cents per page, with no cost for the first ten paged, unless the requested document has an established statutory fee. The cost of CDs and audio tapes will vary depending on the specific request. 

When may public records be inspected? 

Public records are open to inspection during regular Town Hall business hours. To make an appointment with the Town Clerk, please call 415-927-5086. The office of the Town Clerk is located at 240 Tamal Vista Blvd, Suite 110, Corte Madera, CA, 94925.